SituationWe were brought on to help a newly promoted senior executive at a large technology company step into his role while the company was in the process of a turn-around. “Mike” was charged with leading a department of 100 people with annual sales of $400 million. His key objective was to increase the effectiveness and upgrade the talent of his department. Challenges included a rapidly changing organization, a culture that tolerated mediocre performance, a frenetic culture and a highly competitive industry.
This also was the biggest management role that “Mike” had taken in his career to date. Although the opportunity was exciting, he knew he had to learn how to influence his many stakeholders, clarify priorities and begin to operate at a more strategic level, leaving the work he was most comfortable with to his team.
Strategy + SolutionWe began with a 360°Assessment, which uncovered two areas of focus:
- Communication | “Mike” had to sharpen his communication skills so that he could motivate his team and influence stakeholders in spite of extreme turbulence. His attempts to persuade others by asserting his view was being met with resistance at a time when he needed buy-in.
- Priorities | “Mike” needed to delegate to his team more effectively and manage his time differently so that he could focus on strategic initiatives.
Results DeliveredWith sharpened communication skills, “Mike” accomplished important breakthroughs both in attracting new talent and maximizing the effectiveness of existing talent. He also improved his ability to influence among a complex array of stakeholders. By the end of our engagement, he was participating increasingly in settings with the executive team. By prioritizing and delegating more effectively, he was able to push strategic initiatives forward and positively effect on the bottom line of the organization. "Mike" credits coaching with accelerating his on-boarding process. The combination of confidential support and focused attention on the areas that most needed improvement helped him get where he needed to be rapidly, in spite of a steep learning curve and a moving target. Note: to protect the confidentiality and privacy of our clients, we have altered some identifying details in this case study.
NSP Services Delivered
- Leadership Assessment
- Leadership Development Plan
- Leadership Goals Tied to Organizational Objectives
- Immunity to Change Map
- One-on-One Coaching
- Follow-up Assessment
- Increased leader influence
- Improved leader effectiveness
- Improved team motivation